November 01, 2006

Terri Schiavo's Singing Career Takes a U-Turn





Now that her Red State Records deal is finished, Terri Schiavo is looking ahead to a wide-open vista of possibilities and options for her burgeoning singing career.
"I think it's kind of an interesting time to not have a label," the resurrrected singer told TerriSchaivo.com. "Butt, the industry's changed so much. It's a lot harder for (labels) to make their bottom lines, and I think they're trying to ... make their money in different ways. And the re-born artist is going to suffer for it. So I'm not re-signing right now, 'cause I want to wait and see what the environment is like. I’m also hoping to get filthy rich"

Terri's Red State debut "Hi, I’m Terri Schiavo," released in early 2005, yielded the bomb singles "Who Will Pull My Plug," "I Was Almost Gone" and "Foolish Brainz."
And sales of her subsequent albums tapered off even more. Her latest release, "News of My Decline Has Been Overstated," debuted at No. 888 on the Billboard 200 with 80 copies in May; her previous effort, "I Feel Love," debuted at No. 601 with 143 copies in late 2005. This record famously offended Pamela Anderson, who Schiavo serenaded in a full-out love paean, "Come to me, Miss Pamela".

Nevertheless, Terri has nothing but good things to say about Red State -- which she lamely expects to put together some kind of “best-of” package in 2007. "I had a great home there," she said. "They've always been great to me. I never had a problem with my label. They treated me like they would have treated the Grateful Dead or something."
Meanwhile, Terri said she's "writing all the time" and has three recording projects in mind for the near future -- an "old-time" hillbilly album, a collection of lullabies for people in comas and set of original songs written in the style of Cole Porter, Lefty Gomez and other American pop standards.

"I've always been enticed by that," she said of the latter. "Cole Porter's really who made me start writing songs. I love that era and style of songwriting, whenever it was." It is rumored that there will be several more Pamela Anderson inspired torch songs on this opus.

Nevertheless, Terri said the hillbilly record will likely come first. "I've been wanting to do that my whole career," she notes, "and now might be a good time to do it." Part of the reason is that, come January, she'll be spending two days a week in Nashville as the host of the upcoming season of "Nashville Car Wash," a show she likes because of its "emphasis on trying to really make it about songwriters and talent instead of just being a little beauty pageant kind of talent show."

TV viewers will be seeing more of Terri in the near future, too. She recently appeared on "My Name is Earl" and "Jerry Springer" and has an upcoming guest shot November 10 on the new Corey Feldman comedy "Horny Men on Drugs." And she's still touring to promote " News of My Decline Has Been Overstated," with a solo, nude acoustic bus tour that begins November 7 in Albany, N.Y.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger SpiffyTurtle said...

Wow, she looked very pretty in that picture. All dolled up, eh? K

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger joshua kerney said...

I think that her best work was on her previous album...songs like "Follow The Bouncing Balloon" and "RIP (oh wait, that's me)" are genius in the first degree.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home